Gabe

Gabe

The Real Price

 

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

This project was assigned to us with the intention of letting us experiment with green screens. Our group decided – after a very long and interesting discussion – that this was the direction we wanted to go in.

Very quickly, we realized that filming in physical locations would be difficult in order to maintain continuity and COVID safety, so we decided to film everything on a green screen and use the 3-D modeling software Blender to create the rest of the elements. Blender is a free 3-D modeling program that I have been tinkering with on and off since the 6th grade. It was the program of choice for this project because it is such a powerful tool for those who know how to properly use it.

Olivia was in charge of creating the behind-the-scenes website for our project. She also helped get a few shots for the film with her sister as an actress. Jayla helped get additional behind-the-scenes shots, and she and Ian were the main actors in the film. Ian also helped Gabe with the editing process. Gabe was the primary editor and he created the world of the film. 

For some of us, this was our first major film project. Gabe had experience in 3-D modeling but not in film editing, so it was extremely challenging for him to learn about camera angles and proper lighting in both the physical and virtual world. He became more confident in editing skills and began to try out more creative paths. He created the background in a Blender file, using a program within the software that generated cities from Google Maps.

Gabe also elicited more clips from the group as the project evolved. Once he had both the physical and virtual shots, he put them together in Premiere with multiple “ultra-key” effects and many carefully keyframed masks for the times where a person didn’t fit on a green screen.