When you find the right high school, you’ll know it.
Learn more about The New School!
We look forward to greeting you for a Parent Visit in the coming weeks and welcoming you into the world of TNS! You’ll get a sense of our curriculum, see our school in action and learn what makes TNS different from, as well as similar to, other high schools. Mostly, you will get a feel for the care, energy, and innovation that is The New School.
We look forward to being a resource as you look at different high school options, learn about your student’s hopes and dreams, and make plans for high school!
To receive more information on admissions, contact Director of Admissions, Jill Morehouse Lum.
Getting the feel for a school takes time, so we offer several ways to connect with TNS during the fall and winter.
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to The New School!
Take the first step! To register for an event or to begin the admissions process, please create a free account.
Families who complete the Preliminary Application Steps 1, 2, and 3 via Ravenna will be able to schedule their half-day Student Visit. “Early bird” Student Visits begin in November 2022.
- Prospective students complete an online Student Application, including directions to upload a Graded Student Essay.
- Parent(s) complete an online Parent Application, including an intent to apply for financial aid. Feel free to collaborate!
- An application fee of $60 will complete your Preliminary Application Steps. To request that the fee be waived, email Jill Morehouse Lum.
- Teacher Recommendation Forms are completed online. The link to the Recommendation Forms will be “delegated” to your English and Math teachers when you submit teacher email addresses on Ravenna. Give them plenty of time to submit these by the deadline of February 15, 2023. In the alternative, if your student attends an AAAIS middle school, you may have your student’s school forward the completed AAAIS forms in lieu of the TNS Teacher Recommendation Forms.
- Delegate via Ravenna or print and submit a Transcript Request Form to your student’s current school.
- Students who have completed the Preliminary Application Steps on Ravenna will be invited for a half-day Student Visit (shadow day/interview). We encourage you to complete the Preliminary Application Steps early to make sure your student has an opportunity to sit in on a class, meet with a teacher and experience life at The New School first hand. There’s no substitute for the real thing! Student visits are required to complete your TNS application.
November 29, 2022 – Early Bird Student Visit Day for families who have completed the Preliminary Application Steps on Ravenna.
January 3, 2023 – Suggested due date for Preliminary Application Steps with a reduced application fee of $50. Fee waivers are available.
February 1, 2023 – Priority deadline for Preliminary Application Steps (Parent and Student Application Questions and Application Fee of $75).
February 8, 2023 – Priority deadline for Financial Aid applications.
February 15, 2023 – Teacher and Counselor Recommendations, and Transcripts deadline. All application materials are due by this date.
April 1, 2023 – Regular admissions decisions emailed to families. Note: If you know that TNS is your first choice, you will be given the opportunity to request an early admission decision once your application is complete.
Tuition and fees for the 2023-24 school year will be set by The New School’s Board in early 2023.
While our tuition is significantly lower than most other private schools in the city, we understand that some families will need financial assistance. In fact, we work diligently to attract students who do not have the financial resources to attend private school because we’re dedicated to enrolling students who reflect the great diversity of our city. Currently, approximately 33% of our students receive some amount of financial assistance.
We have limited financial aid funds to distribute each year. All of our financial aid is need-based, and all of our awards go to students who could not afford to attend The New School without financial assistance. Inevitably, we have applicants for financial aid to whom we aren’t able to provide assistance.
Once you have applied using your Ravenna Hub Account, families interested in applying for financial aid should visit the website of School & Student Services (SSS) to complete an application and upload the necessary documents. SSS is an independent organization that analyzes each family’s ability to pay tuition, and we use their analysis as one element in our financial aid decisions. When you enter the site, you will be asked for our school code which is 2783020. The priority deadline for financial aid applications is February 8, 2023.
For more information about the financial aid process, please contact Jill Morehouse Lum, Director of Admissions at 202-412-9743, or Chelsea Walker, Director of Business Operations and Financial Aid, at 404-500-9753.
SAT? Nope. Not part of our application process.
Is TNS your first choice? TNS offers an early decision option!
Applying for Financial Aid? 40% of students receive some form of financial aid.