Getting the feel for a school takes time, so we offer several ways to connect with TNS during the fall and winter. The best way to begin is with a Virtual Parent Visit. Our Director of Admissions Jill Morehouse Lum, often in partnership with our Head of School, Peter Lefkowicz, will take time one-on-one to answer your questions and learn more about your student. In October join us for a Virtual Information Session for prospective students and parents. You’ll hear from students and teachers and get a real sense of The New School experience. We host Open House events in November and January so you can connect teachers, current parents and students.
Set up a Ravenna account to access additional offerings and apply to The New School!
In late January and February we invite students who have completed the Preliminary Application Steps to join us for a special half-day Student Visit.
To receive more information on admissions, contact Director of Admissions, Jill Morehouse Lum.
I look forward to greeting you for a Virtual Parent Visit in the coming weeks and welcoming you into the world of TNS! You’ll get a sense of our curriculum, see our school in action and learn what makes TNS different from, as well as similar to, other high schools. Mostly, you will get a feel for the care, energy, and innovation that is The New School. Please call or email to learn more. We look forward to being a resource as you look at different high school options, learn about your student’s hopes and dreams, and make plans for high school!
Follow this link to create an inquiry form. Click “Submit and Continue” to view options for scheduling a Parent Visit. We will add more ways to get to know TNS in the coming weeks.
Virtual Parent Visits
During the fall semester, we invite interested parents to experience The New School – virtually and in person. We want to hear what you’re looking for in a high school and get to know your student through your eyes. Please sign up early so we can make sure to save you a spot. Interested parents are strongly encouraged to schedule a visit. For any additional questions, please email Director of Admissions Jill Morehouse Lum.
Things to know:
- Parent Visits are offered at various times. Follow this link to submit an inquiry form. You’ll then be redirected to our calendar to sign up.
- Parent Visits are reserved for parents of students in 8th grade and above ONLY.
- Parent Visits will initially be hosted online via Zoom, and later in the semester, in person.
Sign up for our October 19 Virtual Information Session for prospective students and their parents. You will get a chance to hear faculty and students talk about their experience as teachers and learners at The New School. You may see a scene from a student-directed play (Yes, even on Zoom!) or hear an interview with 11th graders who are in the midst of starting their own ventures as part of the entrepreneurship curriculum. What you won’t hear is a lecture. We do our best to give prospective families a feel for life at The New School. Follow this link to create an inquiry form. After you click “Submit and Continue” you will be invited to register for the Info Session.
In the winter (January and February), we invite students who have completed the preliminary application steps to come for a visit where they can sit in on classes, talk to current students and meet with at least one teacher. This is a great way to get a feel for life at TNS, and for students to see if The New School would be a good fit for their high school years.
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to The New School!
To register for an event or to begin the admissions process, please sign up using your Ravenna Hub Account.
There are six parts of the application:
- Prospective students complete an online Student Application.
- Parent(s) complete an online Parent Application. Feel free to collaborate!
- Teacher Recommendation Forms should be completed online. The link to the Recommendation Forms will be sent to the school and teacher email addresses you provide in the Parent Application. Give them plenty of time to submit these by the priority application deadline of February 12, 2022. In the alternative, if your student attends a AAAIS middle school, you may have your student’s school forward the completed AAAIS forms in lieu of the TNS Teacher Recommendation Forms.
- As part of the online application, you will see a Transcript Request Form for your student’s current school. It should be mailed or delivered to The New School in a sealed envelope.
- An application fee of $60 will complete your application.
- Students who have the complete Preliminary Application Steps on Ravenna (or previously through our website) will be invited for a half-day Student Visit (shadow day/interview) in late January or February. Because we are a small school and work hard to protect the learning environment of our current students, we may not be able to accommodate all students for a school visit/interview. We encourage you to complete the Preliminary Application Steps early to make sure your student has an opportunity to sit in on a class, meet with a teacher and experience life at The New School first hand. There’s no substitute for the real thing!
What did we forget? Standardized Tests. The New School does NOT require the SSAT.
For new applications or to begin the admissions process, please sign up using your Ravenna Hub Account.
Tuition and fees for the 2021-22 school year are $17,000.
While our tuition is significantly lower than most other private schools in the city, we understand that some families will still need financial assistance. In fact, we work diligently to attract students who do not have the financial resources to attend private school because we’re dedicated to enrolling students who reflect the great diversity of our city. Currently, approximately 33% of our students receive some amount of financial assistance.
We have limited financial aid funds to distribute each year. All of our financial aid is need-based, and all of our awards go to students who could not afford to attend The New School without financial assistance. Inevitably, we have many applicants for financial aid to whom we aren’t able to provide assistance.
Once you have applied using your Ravenna Hub Account, families interested in applying for financial aid should go to www.sssbynais.org to complete an application and upload necessary documents. SSS is an independent organization that analyzes each family’s ability to pay tuition, and we use their analysis as one element in our financial aid decisions. When you enter the site, you will be asked for our school code which is 2783020. The priority deadline for financial aid applications is February 8th, 2022.