When you find the right high school, you’ll know it. Come get to know us.
Getting the feel for a school takes time, so we offer several ways to connect with TNS during the fall and winter. Just curious? Wondering what all the buzz is about? Come to our Information Session at Horizon Theatre on October 17th, 2017 from 7:00 to 8:00pm. On January 20th, 2018 we invite interested families to an Open House at our campus on Memorial Drive. Check out our new school building and talk to teachers, current parents and students. They’ll tell you like it is.
Want some one on one time with TNS administrators? Throughout the fall we offer individual parent tours and conversation for parents of students in 8th grade and above. Finally, and most importantly, students who have applied to TNS are invited to visit days in January and February to see the school in action.
At The New School our admissions process is built on relationships. We work hard to get to know prospective students and their parents as well as we can—and we want to be well known in return. We think that the high school admissions process should be a daring adventure. A time of exploration and curiosity and discovery. Whether you’ve been thinking about your student’s high school choices for a long time or you’ve just started to wonder what options exist, welcome. I’m so glad you’re here.
As a co-founder of The New School and parent of a current 11th grader, I wear many hats, but my very favorite role is this: meeting parents who are standing where I once stood, full of excitement and anxiety about where their child will go to high school. Our children are standing on the brink of opportunity and we want to guide them to the place where they will be able to realize their full potential. It’s exciting. It’s exhausting! I can’t wait to get to know you and your student and share the incredible story of our school and all the places we plan to go.
Many parents want to know what kind of student does well at The New School. Really, we’re not looking for a particular kind of student because we’ve seen such a wide variety of students find their place and hit their stride here. We work with students and parents to explore whether The New School would be a good fit. At the end of the process, we admit students who we think would thrive. Those students come from all over—private, public and charter schools; intown neighborhoods and distant suburbs. Some know their passions when they first walk in the front door and others show up with an open mind and an eagerness for new experiences.
We invite prospective families to learn more about The New School throughout the fall and winter. You’ll have opportunities to meet with us, talk to students, and get an insider’s perspective from current parents. And we pride ourselves on being extremely responsive. Call us anytime. Really. Any time.
We look forward to seeing you soon,
Mary Campbell Jenkins
On October 17th we will host an Information Session for prospective students and their parents at Horizon Theatre in Little Five Points. Come hear faculty and students talk about their experience as teachers and learners at The New School. You may see a scene from a student-directed play or hear an interview with 11th graders who are in the midst of starting their own ventures as part of the entrepreneurism curriculum. What you won’t hear is a lecture. We do our best to give visitors a feel for life at The New School. Horizon Theatre is a fantastic regional theatre and also the TNS home base stage where Jeff Adler, co-founder and co-artistic director, also teaches drama to New School students.
We invite students and their parents to an Open House on January 20th. This is a great chance to get to know The New School a little better. Current students and their parents will be on hand, as will TNS faculty members. The Open House is an informal drop-in event–there will not be a formal presentation. Stop by any time between 10am and 2pm. Our address is 655 Memorial Drive, Atlanta, GA 30312.
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to The New School for the 2018-19 school year!
There are six parts of the application:
- Prospective students complete an online student application
- Parent(s) complete an online parent application. Feel free to collaborate!
- Print and deliver the TNS Teacher Recommendation Forms to your student’s English and Math teachers with self-addressed stamped envelopes. Give them plenty of time to send these back in by the application deadline of February 17, 2018. In the alternative, if your student attends a AAAIS middle school, you may have your student’s school forward the completed AAAIS forms in lieu of the TNS Teacher Recommendation Forms.
- Use our Transcript Request Form to request a transcript from your student’s current school. It should be mailed or delivered to The New School in a sealed envelope.
- An application fee of $60 will complete your application. Pay online here or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a fee waiver. Application Fee
- Students who have applied will be invited for a shadow day/interview in January, February, or early March. Because we are a small school and work hard to protect the learning environment of our current students, we may not be able to accommodate all students for a school visit/interview. We encourage you to complete the application and sign up early to make sure your student has an opportunity to sit in on a class and experience life at The New School first hand. There’s no substitute for the real thing!
What did we forget? Standardized Tests. The New School does NOT require the SSAT.
As a parent of a rising high school student, you may be serving on your family’s education reconnaissance team.
Which high schools should your student apply to? How will you know where your teenager would fit in?
During the fall semester we invite interested parents to come tour The New School. We’ve found that the best way to get to know people well is to meet with them individually so we dedicate time to one family at a time. We want to hear what you’re looking for in a high school and get to know your student through your eyes. Please sign up early so we can make sure to save you a spot. Parent tours are encouraged but not a required part of the admissions process.These tours are for parents only.
Things to know:
- Fall tours are ONLY for parents. No students please. Students who apply will have a great chance to visit TNS in the winter.
- Tours are offered at various times Monday through Thursday. We host one family at a time because we think admissions should be as personal a process as it can be. This is NOT an interview. It’s a chance for parents to learn more about TNS and get to know us.
- Parent tours are reserved for parents of students in 8th grade and above.
In the winter (January and February), we invite students who have completed a TNS application to come for a visit where they can sit in on classes, talk to current students and meet with at least one teacher. This is a great way to get a feel for life at TNS, and this student visit is a required part of the admissions process.
Once you have completed the student application, sign up here for a visit.
Tuition for the 2017-18 year is $14,000. The Governing Board will set the 2018-19 tuition in January, 2018.
While our tuition is significantly lower than most other private schools in the city, we understand that some families still need financial assistance. In fact, we work diligently to attract students who do not have the financial resources to attend private school because we’re dedicated to enrolling students who reflect the great diversity of our city. Currently 15% of our students receive financial assistance.
Families interested in applying for financial aid should go to www.sssbynais.org to complete an application and upload necessary documents. This independent organization will determine each family’s ability to pay tuition. When you enter the site, you will be asked for our school code which is 2783020. The deadline for financial aid applications is February 16th, 2018.