Getting the feel for a school takes time, so we offer several ways to connect with TNS during the fall and winter.
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to The New School!
Take the first step. To register for an event or to begin the admissions process, please create a free account in Ravenna, our online application platform.
- Prospective students complete an online Student Application, including directions to upload a Graded Student Essay.
- Parent(s) complete an online Parent Application, including an intent to apply for financial aid. Feel free to collaborate!
- An application fee of $60 will complete your Preliminary Application Steps. To request that the fee be waived, email Claire Strowd.
- Teacher Recommendation Forms are completed online. The link to the Recommendation Forms will be “delegated” to your English and Math teachers when you submit teacher email addresses on Ravenna. Give them plenty of time to submit these by the deadline of February 15.
- Delegate via Ravenna or print and submit a Transcript Request Form to your student’s current school.
- Students who have completed the Preliminary Application Steps on Ravenna will be invited for a half-day Student Visit (shadow day/interview). We encourage you to complete the Preliminary Application Steps early to make sure your student has an opportunity to sit in on a class, meet with a teacher and experience life at The New School first hand. There’s no substitute for the real thing! Student visits are required to complete your TNS application.
January 3 – Suggested due date for Preliminary Application Steps with a reduced application fee. Fee waivers are available.
February 1 – Priority deadline for Preliminary Application Steps (Parent and Student Application Questions and Application Fee).
February 8 – Priority deadline for Financial Aid applications.
February 15 – All application materials are due by this date.
March 30 – Regular admissions decisions emailed to families. Note: If you know that TNS is your first choice, you will be given the opportunity to request an early admission decision once your application is complete.
Tuition and fees for the 2023-24 school year are $19,000.
While our tuition is significantly lower than most other private schools in the city, we understand that some families will need financial assistance. In fact, we work diligently to attract students who do not have the financial resources to attend private school because we’re dedicated to enrolling students who reflect the great diversity of our city. Currently, approximately 33% of our students receive some amount of financial assistance.
We have limited financial aid funds to distribute each year. All of our financial aid is need-based, and all of our awards go to students who could not afford to attend The New School without financial assistance. Inevitably, we have applicants for financial aid to whom we aren’t able to provide assistance.
Once you have applied using your Ravenna Hub Account, families interested in applying for financial aid should visit the website of Clarity to complete an application and upload the necessary documents. Clarity is an independent organization that analyzes each family’s ability to pay tuition, and we use their analysis as one element in our financial aid decisions. The priority deadline for financial aid applications is February 8.
For more information about the financial aid process, please contact Claire Strowd, Director of Admissions.
SSAT? Nope. Not part of our application process.
Is TNS your first choice? TNS offers an early decision option!
Applying for Financial Aid? 40% of students receive some form of financial aid.
We are eager to help support you in completing the application process. Contact Claire Strowd.