In this 8-class course, students will learn to design and fabricate a leather bag.
Over the course of the classes, students will work on designing and patterning, as well as learn techniques of hand fabrication.
About the instructor:
Sarah was born and raised in Atlanta, GA. She attended Parsons School of Design in New York City, where she graduated with a degree in Architecture with a focus on Affordable Housing. After graduating, Sarah worked in millwork shops. She lived in New Orleans from 2010-2012, working as a designer at an affordable housing non-profit, as well as working at several furniture shops. Sarah returned to Atlanta to set up a small shoemaking shop in 2012. She spent 2013 in Doylestown, PA, working and studying under a master shoemaker before returning to Atlanta to officially launch Cord Shoes and Boots.
Class 1- INTRO TO LEATHERWORKING and SMALL ACCESSORY DESIGN
- Introduction to materials and tools
- Review of design and production schedule
- Design and pattern small leather accessory
Class 2- SMALL ACCESSORY FABRICATION
- Cutting leather
- Hand stitching
- Attaching hardware
- Finishing edges
Class 3- BAG DESIGN I
- Students will begin to design and pattern their bag.
- Students will start to envision materials, color, hardware. Based on their designs, we will
begin to go over construction methods that will inform patterning.
Class 4- BAG DESIGN II
- Students will continue to iron out their designs and begin to produce final patterns.
- Students will finalize the size, shape,
materials, and construction methods of their bags.
CLASSES 5-8 BAG FABRICATION
- Some topics that will be covered during fabrication process will include:
- Gluing leather
- Different hand stitching methods
- Hardware use and attachment
- Zipper installation
Leatherworking will take place at the MASS Collective Maker Space, 364 Nelson St. SW, Atlanta, GA 30313, on Wednesdays from 5:00 to 7:30pm.
Students have the option to buy their own tools for $97.
SCHEDULE FOR SPRING 2016
Wednesdays from 5:00 – 7:30PM
Session 1: Feb 3rd- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 2: Feb 10th- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 3: Feb 17th- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 4: Feb 24th- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 5: Mar 2nd- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 6: Mar 9th- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 7: Mar 16th- 5:00 – 7:30pm
Session 8: Mar 24nd- 5:00 – 7:30pm